Let's Clean House, Ladies!



Sandra Bullock is one of my favorite actresses. If I know she is in the movie, I’m going to watch it. As I’ve been thinking about what I want to say to you today this scene from Practical Magic continually came to mind. Now, it doesn’t show you the part that I continually thought of, so let me tell you what happens next.

Practical Magic

The dead boyfriend’s ashes begin to fall from the ceiling (his name is Jimmy and they just banished him from Jillian) and one lady yells, “Let’s Clean HOUSE Ladies!” In this rough scruffy voice, I really wanted to find a clip with that particular part, because that’s what I keep hearing in my head over and over that I want to say to you. “Let’s clean house Ladies!

I also want to point out that at the beginning of this scene, Sally (Jillian’s sister) has activated the phone tree and called every WOMAN they know, even those that don’t like them or have talked bad about them, or have secretly been curious about them and guess what Sally did? She asked for HELP! 

Each woman walked into that house with a broom, prepared to clean! They had a plan and they had support, from even those they least expected it of. 



Why is this on my mind and what on earth is the point I’m getting to? What’s on my mind? Positivity. What’s my point? We need to clean house on the inside. I see you’re still a little bit lost, so let me explain.



How many times a day do you disrespect yourself? How many times a day do you look in the mirror or simply think the following things:
  • I’m fat.
  • I’m awkward.
  • I’m boney.
  • I look pregnant.
  • I look sick.
  • I’ll never get it right.
  • I’m never going to lose weight.
  • I’m never going to gain weight.
  • I’m stupid.
  • I’m not good enough.
  • I’m a bad mom.
  • I’m a bad wife.
  • I’m a bad friend.
  • I can’t do it.
  • I’ll never look that good.
  • I’m invisible.
  • My nose is too pointy.
  • My eyebrows too bushy.
  • My legs too short.
  • My feet too big.
  • How many times have you cried in that dressing room?

Should I go on and list every insecurity and lie you’ve told yourself? I'm sure there are YEARS of buildup. Would you say these things to your best friend? Would you seriously tell her “Your nose is so pointy I should nickname you Pinocchio”? Of course not! How rude and disrespectful is that! What kind of friend would you be? So then why on God’s green earth are you talking to yourself like that!

How does it make you feel when someone says something disrespectful and rude to you? Like one I heard recently… “Why are you trying to lose weight? No one will ever notice you.” If someone said that to you, how would it make you feel?

Angry, Sad, Hurt, deflated, crushed…like you shouldn’t even bother? Right?

So let me ask this again, WHY are you talking to yourself like that? You are hurting YOU and you don’t even know it! The mind is a powerful thing! You have probably heard me say and if you haven’t you will… a lot; “the body will not go where the mind will not take it.


If you mind is over there talking smack about how much you suck and how you’ll never be able to do 10 sit ups, run a 5K or lift 200 pounds with your legs – then guess what? You won’t. Simple as that. You already told yourself no. You already told your body that it isn’t strong enough or good enough. What a crock!

All that constant negative chatter going on inside our heads is holding us back; it’s keeping us from living the life we were made for. It makes us miserable, frustrated and depressed and sometimes we don’t even know it!

We have to be very aware of the way we talk to ourselves, and don’t tell me you don’t - honey - cause everybody talks to themselves. You don’t really think I believe that you are just sitting there with an empty head and nothing running through that beautiful mind of yours, do you? Good, cause I don’t.

It’s like when you walk into a room to get something; only once you get there you can’t remember what it was – so you start mumbling to yourself, “Now, what was it I came in here for?” Your mind is always running and it can run away with you!

Not too long ago, my Mom and I had a discussion about cremation. Stop asking if this thought train just derailed, it didn’t. She wanted to know my thoughts on it. Well, I wasn’t sure how I felt about it or what my thoughts were on it. I did some asking. I did some research. And then with my brilliant mind, I made my own decision. MINE. Not yours, not hers and not anybody else’s. What I decided was this…

I am a Christian, so obviously I looked to the Bible for my answer. The Bible from my viewpoint wasn't real clear on this and if it was it would have bit me on the nose. I am also a creative person. I like to make pretty things with paper. I like to use my hands.

So, I thought to myself (see already talking to myself); “how would I feel if I worked so hard on this beautiful scrapbook album and gifted it to someone, only to eventually watch them burn it?” I worked so hard on it! I put my heart and soul into it and they burned it?!!! I’d be crushed, devastated!

As a Christian, I believe I am created by God. I am HIS work of art. There is not another me. I am the only me there is. God believes me beautiful and wonderfully made. “I am the apple of God’s eye, a treasured person.” Psalm 17:8. In other scriptures it says, “I am God’s treasured possession.” I am HIS work of art – how can I burn his creation?


Furthermore, how can I treat HIS creation the way I do? Have I no respect?! Talking smack to myself, telling myself those horrible negative things? Is that really what I think God believes of me? Scripture says otherwise, doesn’t it?

So Ladies, here is my challenge to you – STOP the negativity! It’s like mindlessly scrolling Facebook – DRAINING! As soon as you catch yourself doing it – STOP.


You know that movie Parental Guidance where they are saying, “use your words” and anytime you put someone down you have to give them 3 put ups? Every time you catch yourself - disrespecting yourself – I want you to stop and think of 3 positive things and say them - out loud. Heck! Write them on a post-it and stick them on your wall! I want to see them!



We’ve got to clean house ladies! We’ve got to get that dead-beat jerk of Negativity banished! Respect yourself and the wonderfully made creation that you are enough to stand up to your own negative self-talk. You are so much more than you believe – so do yourself a favor and get out of your way!



You have help and you have support even if you don’t realize it yet. So pick up that broom my friend, and let’s continue on this journey to an all around healthier lifestyle.



With much love,

~Coach T~


No comments

Back to Top